Poll: 90% Native Americans Not Offended by Wash. Redskins Name
The poll interviewed 504 Native Americans. Some results include:
- 90 percent polled said the Washington, D.C. football team using the name "Redskins" does not bother them.
- 9 percent found its use offensive.
- 1 percent had no opinion.
- 73 percent do not find "redskins" disrespectful.
- 21 percent believe it is disrespectful.
- 6 percent had no opinion.
"We are gratified by this overwhelming support from the Native American community, and the team will proudly carry the Redskins name," Snyder said in a statement.
Suzan Harjo, the plaintiff in the case that challenges the team's trademark, was displeased with the poll's results, according to the Post.